2013 BMW M550d xDrive Exclusive, World Premiere for New & Extremely Powerful 6 Cylinder In-line Diesel Engine
The BMW M Performance Automobiles.
At a glance
- New BMW M GmbH product range based on current BMW models; BMW M Performance Automobiles complement the model family with their clear focus on sports performance combined with unrestricted everyday usability and outstanding efficiency; new product category launches with four models: BMW M550d xDrive Sedan, BMW M550d xDrive Touring, BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d.
- Rigorous use of BMW M GmbH development expertise in the optimisation of agility, precision and emotion; BMW M Performance Automobiles with harmonious interplay of powertrain, chassis technology and design features typical of M models; exclusive, extremely powerful engine; detailed modifications to chassis technology and power transfer; aerodynamically optimised body.
- World premiere for a new six-cylinder in-line diesel engine developed exclusively for the BMW M Performance Automobiles; new, globally unique M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology: three turbochargers, common-rail direct injection with piezo injectors and maximum injection pressure of 2,200 bar; 3.0-litre displacement, 280 kW/381 hp, maximum torque: 740 Newton metres (546 lb-ft); instantaneous responses and outstandingly dynamic power delivery into the upper reaches of the rev range; maximum revs: 5,400 rpm; impressively economical thanks to optimised efficiency and extensive BMW EfficientDynamics technology, including Auto Start-Stop function and ECO PRO mode.
- Eight-speed Sports automatic transmission with enhanced gearshift dynamics fitted as standard on all BMW M Performance Automobiles; BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive with bespoke set-up optimised to enhance dynamics; BMW M550d xDrive and BMW X5 M50d with Performance Control, BMW X6 M50d with Dynamic Performance Control.
- M-specific tuning of suspension, bodyshell mounting, engine and transmission mounting, springs and dampers, all standard and optional chassis control systems, and the Servotronic mapping for the hydraulic steering; result is significantly enhanced agility and precision in dynamic driving situations, with the linear build-up of lateral forces familiar from M cars.
- BMW M550d xDrive comes as standard with the Driving Experience Control switch, including ECO PRO mode; BMW M550d xDrive Touring also features air suspension on the rear axle and automatic self-levelling; both models available as an option with Dynamic Damper Control and Adaptive Drive including anti-roll control.
- BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d fitted as standard with air suspension on the rear axle and self-levelling, Adaptive Drive standard on the BMW X6 M50d and available as an option for the BMW X5 M50d.
- Purposeful design modifications in familiar M style set individual models apart and provide aerodynamic optimisation; exterior mirrors and air intake bars with striking Ferric Grey metallic paintwork; trapezoidal exhaust tailpipes; BMW Individual High-gloss Shadow Line; 19-inch M light-alloy wheels in double-spoke design standard on the BMW M550d xDrive and BMW M550d xDrive Touring; 19-inch M light-alloy wheels in V-spoke design standard on the BMW X5 M50d; 20-inch M light-alloy wheels in double-spoke design standard on the BMW X6 M50d; exclusive 20-inch M light-alloy wheels in Ferric Grey available as an option for all models; model lettering on the door sills, boot lid and, in the case of the
BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d, also in the instrument cluster; engine cover with “M Performance” badge.
- Bespoke interior design shows clear emphasis on the cars’ sporting character; gearshift lever with M logo; exclusive Alcantara/Nappa leather M sports seats in Black (BMW X5 M50d, BMW X6 M50d) or Alcantara/Cloth in Grey Shadow (BMW M550d xDrive) with contrast stitching and embossed M logo; M leather steering wheel with gearshift paddles; BMW Individual roof liner in Anthracite; interior trim strips in Brushed Aluminium Shadow (BMW X5 M50d, BMW X6 M50d) or Aluminium Hexagon (BMW M550d xDrive); interior sound design adds further emphasis to the characteristic six-cylinder soundtrack.
- All BMW M Performance Automobiles contain a wide range of comfort-enhancing equipment as standard; extensive individualisation possible thanks to virtually full availability of BMW 5 Series, BMW X5 and BMW X6 options; includes Comfort Access, automatic tailgate operation (standard in Germany on the BMW X6 M50d and BMW M550d xDrive Touring), hands-free tailgate opening (BMW M550d xDrive, BMW M550d xDrive Touring), electrically operated glass/panoramic sunroof, doors with Soft Close Automatic function, trailer coupling, heated steering wheel, active seats, Adaptive LED Headlights (BMW X6 M50d), navigation systems with hard disk storage, high-quality audio and rear-seat entertainment systems.
- Wide range of driver assistance systems and mobility services from BMW ConnectedDrive unmatched by any rival: Head-Up Display, Adaptive Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, BMW Night Vision with pedestrian recognition (BMW M550d xDrive), Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, Lane Change Warning System
(BMW M550d xDrive), Lane Departure Warning System
(BMW M550d xDrive), rear-view camera with Top View
(BMW X5 M50d, BMW X6 M50d), Surround View (BMW 550d xDrive),
Speed Limit Info, internet access, extended integration of smartphones and music players, Real-Time Traffic Information and apps for receiving web radio and using Facebook and Twitter.
Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine with
M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology, aluminium crankcase, three turbochargers (high-pressure, with variable turbine geometry), common-rail direct injection with piezo injectors, maximum injection pressure: 2,200 bar.
Displacement: 2,993 cc,
output: 280 kW/381 hp at 4,000 – 4,400 rpm,
max. torque: 740 Nm (546 lb-ft) at 2,000 – 3 000 rpm,
specific output: 93.6 kW/127.3 hp per litre of displacement.
- BMW M Performance models: performance figures, fuel consumption, CO2 emissions:
BMW M550d xDrive Sedan:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 4.7 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph),
average fuel consumption: 6.3 litres/100 kilometres (44.8 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions: 165 g/km, exhaust standard: EU6.
BMW M550d xDrive Touring:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 4.9 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph),
average fuel consumption: 6.4 litres/100 kilometres (44.1 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions: 169 g/km, exhaust standard: EU6.
BMW X5 M50d:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 5.4 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph),
average fuel consumption: 7.5 litres/100 kilometres (37.7 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions: 199 g/km, exhaust standard: EU5.
BMW X6 M50d:
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 5.3 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph),
average fuel consumption: 7.7 litres/100 kilometres (36.7 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions: 204 g/km, exhaust standard: EU5.
The BMW M Performance Automobiles: market launch dates and prices for Germany.
Munich. With its BMW M Performance Automobiles, BMW M GmbH is adding four newly developed models to its product range. These cars come with a significant boost in performance and hallmark M precision in the interplay of the powertrain, chassis and aerodynamics – coupled with unrestricted everyday utility and high levels of efficiency. The BMW M550d xDrive, BMW M550d xDrive Touring, BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d models will have their world premiere at the Geneva International Motor Show (8 – 18 March 2012). The market launch of the BMW M Performance Automobiles starts just a few weeks later. The BMW M550d xDrive and BMW M550d xDrive Touring models will be available in German showrooms from 12 May 2012, with the BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d following on 16 June 2012. Below are the selling prices of the BMW M Performance Automobiles in Germany, including VAT (19%):
BMW M550d xDrive 80,800 EUR
BMW M550d xDrive Touring 83,750 EUR
BMW X5 M50d 82,300 EUR
BMW X6 M50d 85,800 EUR
The BMW M550d xDrive and BMW M550d xDrive Touring models will be built at the BMW plant in Dingolfing, which also manufactures the other models of the BMW 5 Series range, the BMW 6 Series models and the BMW 7 Series luxury sedans. The BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d will be produced at BMW Plant Spartanburg in the USA, the competence centre for BMW X models within the BMW Group’s global production network.
UPDATE (From www.press.bmwgroup.com), March 20th, 2012
BMW at the 82nd Geneva Motor Show 2012.
An overview of the highlights:
• World premiere: the BMW M Performance automobiles.
A new product category, four new models, a globally unique engine and intensive M feeling: the BMW M Performance automobiles, presented to the general public for the first time at the Geneva Motor Show, offer impressively enhanced performance and a characteristic M set-up of drivetrain, suspension and aerodynamics as well as characteristic design and interior feel. They also provide unlimited suitability for everyday use and a high level of efficiency. The models BMW M550d xDrive, BMW M550d xDrive Touring, BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d will be offered to mark the start of the new BMW M GmbH product category. They are powered by the in-line 6-cylinder diesel engine with triple turbocharger developed exclusively for the BMW M Performance automobiles, delivering a maximum output of 280 kW/381 bhp and a maximum torque of 740 Newton metres. Combined with the 8-speed sports automatic transmission, the all-wheel drive system xDrive and modified suspension technology, this creates a driving experience defined by the agility and precision typical of M.
Price this car:
MSRP: 80,800 EUR
Invoice: not available yet
Source: BMW Press Release
Prices, Reviews, and Specifications by DistroCars.com.